Of the gladdest moments, methinks in human life, is the departing upon a distant journey into unknown lands…
-- Richard F. Burton

Search This Blog

01 September 2010

Ensuring He'll Stay...

the two mothers dancing to kick off the ceremony
those fried puris are deadly. Also note the gulab jamun(brown balls of delicious dessert)
August 25th-ish 2010
Last week, Swapna took the four of us to a special Indian ceremony performed soon after a marriage to ensure the husband will stay with the wife.Apparently Swapna's cousin’s sister-in-law’s niece recently wed and this month is the most auspicious time to have said event. After a huge dinner(see left),  a group of women perform a traditional play for the bride. It was all in Marathi, so I couldn’t  tell you what it was all about exactly, but many silly dances and songs with clapping ensued. Picture forty and fifty year old women (usually aunts and relatives) jumping and twirling, dancing and laughing, all in swirling saris and gold nose hoops. The stories are about being a daughter-in-law, so they simulate all the clothes washing and tasks that come along with joining a new household. I got to spin around and around and participate in some of the dancing afterwards.
one of the blessings/narratives


We also met Swapna’s twin sister. She walks just as quickly and smiles as effortlessly as her slightly older twin.

It was GORGEOUS. I will find a cheaper option though, I'm sure!
I love looking at saris and these decadent clothes. I haven't yet gotten one, though I tried one on. It was a little out of price range, but here it is nonetheless! Below is a photo of the gorgeous red and yellow one I almost bought. Trying on saris is so much fun. Especially in Indian shops, where the customer is always right and you are served hot chai and pampered with compliments about your skin and eye color that complements the garment. I also enjoy custom fitting my clothes for literally pennies to fit my waist and arms. These clothes are SO comfy! The salwar khmeez shirts are roomy and the skinny leggings so popular in the States are quite trendy here as well. I like being in loungewear all day!

1 comment:

  1. So wait...without a sari, what did you wear to the wedding??

    ReplyDelete