Of the gladdest moments, methinks in human life, is the departing upon a distant journey into unknown lands…
-- Richard F. Burton

Search This Blog

05 September 2010

The Adventures Continue

Before I leave on my rural village visit in 15 minutes, I figured I would update my blog! So much has happened so quickly that I can barely keep track. This post will not feature photographs, but I will take many at the retreat and will upload the others when I have more time.

Anyway, Wednesday was Krisna's birthday! In true Indian form, we attended a massive temple celebration with the followers of the Hare Krisna movement. During the lecture from the leader, I felt the calm of his slow intonation and explanation of his faith wash over me. A decided theist, I do not adhere to any particular religion. In Thailand, I was pretty much a Thich Nat Hahn Buddhist reading an incredible book of his showing the close relationship of Buddhism with Christianity. I have always loved my United Churches of Durham community I was brought up in and recently tapped into my dad's Jewish heritage by attending a few services at Georgetown. I love Hindu services because I really enjoy incense, simplicity, and Sanskrit. Anyway, our Alliance group was all invited specially to the temple for Krisna's birthday. We chanted some prayers and viewed the incredible idols and gardens along with the other 1000 visitors. I didn't stay up for it, but at midnight, the streets are filled with human-towers of men celebrating (like in cheerleader formation). It sounded incredible, but is considered pretty dangerous for women to be out in the street that late at night.

I have had such an outdoor-exploring filled weekend complete with a trek up Law College hill with some friends. It's quite a strenuous hike, but once you reach the top of the crazy tower/temple, you can see the entire city. It really took my breath away.

This morning I volunteered with a tree restoration on top of a temple mountain with Youth to Youth, a Pune based NGO that works for mostly environmental college. Although I had to be there at 6:45 am on a Sunday morning, it was very refreshing to have clean air, laughter with Indian students, and some dirt under my fingernails. The best part with staying with Sarah's host family and having banana with peanut butter!

Much love and will write soon--time to catch the rickshaw and drive for 6 hours to the village! I have my bugspray and net!

1 comment:

  1. theist vs deist...interesting delineation, i think, since it's on the point of revelation that most religions diverge.
    it's nice you've found one that smells good, anyhow!
    ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात् ।।

    ReplyDelete