Of the gladdest moments, methinks in human life, is the departing upon a distant journey into unknown lands…
-- Richard F. Burton

Search This Blog

20 October 2010

Good vibes

October 20, 2010

a common site on my morning walks...the political ads!
Okay, I don't have too much time to write a long post, but I just wanted to say it's been a great couple of days.
Good things:
  • celebrating dusserha despite my 17 page research proposal keeping me inside for most of the weekend
  • getting poured on 5 minutes into a run and being "that crazy white girl" who continues despite monsoon rains, foggy glasses, and lake-like puddles
  • I am borrowing a bicycle for the rest of the semester and can get it tomorrow
  • sponge. street. dosas. 18 rupees. 100% butter. 100% fabulous.
  • a friendly conversation with the railway ticket window man who said I reminded him of his daughter and that I was welcome to come and chat with him anytime.
  • being able to read a hindi children's book. slowly, but surely.
  • spending time with Aditi, my wonderful Indian buddy and having butterscotch softys(ice cream!)
  • having the little girls in my neighborhood greet me with hugs
  • hot chapatis
  • not getting lost all the time
  • noticing the curious smiles more than the stares
  • choosing happiness. deciding to roll with it. transcending negativity!
  • starting my internship/research project on the effects of a  micro health insurance scheme on slum educational attitudes and attendence
  • one week until my epic travel North for Diwali to Delhi, Agra, Amritsar, Chandigarh, and Jaipur!
  • reading some fiction: Amitav Ghosh is great!
 
Dandiya in the streets
Though it's been full of ups and downs, I am starting to appreciate more and look past the challenges of each day in India. It is nice to be surprised everyday.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing a glimpse of your experiences in India. Reading this is very interesting and amusing at times. The little similarities between India and my context make me think a lot about what happens here.

    Please don't stop with the posts. This is really worth to read.

    Cheers,
    Kevin.

    ReplyDelete